Pool fences are mandatory to keep your family, especially your children and pets, safe from accidental drowning, as per the local legislation.
The pool fences are required to surround the pool area to stop the small children between 0 – 5 years from accidentally getting into the pool without adult intervention. The guidelines also direct specific height requirements that restrict small children to get through and over the fences near the pool. If you are wondering how to choose a durable pool fence to protect your family, continue reading this article for valuable information.
Different types of fencing
The primary purpose of the pool fence is the safety of the young children, but it does not mean they should look dull or odd. Nowadays, a range of pool fences is available in the market that are durable, low on maintenance, value for money, and meet the aesthetic requirements.
Below are the most popular types of pool fences for your consideration:
- Aluminium Fences
- Steel Fences
- Glass Fences
- Wooden Fences
- Mesh Fences
- Wrought Iron Fences and
- PVC Pool Fences
With so many choices, how would you decide and pick the best for your pool fence requirement?
How to choose the fencing materials to suit different landscapes?
You can choose the fencing material depending on the type of your landscape design. But in this article, we will focus on the most popular fence types and explain when to use them:
- Aluminium Fences – Aluminium fences are the most popular pool fences due to their high durability, anti-rusting properties and low maintenance. It provides utmost safety, is easy to install and break free. But if you are concerned about the aesthetics and the look of the landscape, you need to think creatively. Look for ways to smartly install the aluminium fences so they can blend with the landscape beautifully.
- Steel Fences – Like Aluminium fences, the steel fences are also low on cost and maintenance and durable at the same time. If you are looking for options to find the best pool fence to match your landscape, you must know that steel fences are also widely popular, available in different colours and are easy to install.
- Glass Fences – You would like to opt for glass fences for a more contemporary look. They are great for fencing off swimming pools as they are resistant to pool chemicals, easy to maintain and need quick wiping to look neat and clean. They are made of tempered safety glasses and do not block the view of the landscape. They are also durable and scratch-resistant. They are easy to install and highly reliable when it comes to the safety of kids and animals. Available in various thicknesses, you have options to choose the one that fits your needs. For pool fences, you may opt for frameless or semi-frameless glass fences in 8mm to 10 mm thickness.
- Wooden Fences – If you want a more traditional look, go for wooden fences to meet your concern for safety and a strong aesthetic statement. The right wooden fence style can alleviate the look of your landscape. Also, the treated wooden fences do not rot or decay and serve for a very long time. It is also possible to customize these fences while adhering to the local guidelines of size and dimensions for the safety of your loved ones.
- Mesh Fences – Consider using mesh fences for fencing your temporary or removable pools. Mesh fences are made with steel and small-chain links and do not obstruct the pool view. These don’t let the children climb or pass through the fencing. While mesh fences are low in price, they do not rank high on durability and may not be a great choice in areas with strong winds.
We would also recommend you check out another article on the Best pool fences for safety!
So, what are the main considerations while selecting the pool fences?
- Who will be using the pool: children, animals, guests?
- What kind of pool do you have?
- Which durable pool fence material would you need?
These three primary questions will help you navigate your way through selecting the durable pool fence that is best for your private residence in terms of safety and enhancing the look of your landscape.
Learn more here about how pool barriers can prevent drowning for children and animals!
Choice of pool fence depending on the weather conditions and the landscape
Before selecting the type of pool fence, you must consider your local weather conditions. Your chosen pool fence material must be able to withstand the local weather conditions that are prevalent for most of the year. Also, keep in mind your landscape design and style while choosing the pool fence material.
For example, while glass fences are ideal for elevating the look and providing an unobstructed view of the area, these require low maintenance and are suitable for keeping children safe.
Why is it important to install a durable fence that adheres to safety regulations?
The primary purpose of the durable fence around your permanent or temporary pool is to safeguard your children and animals. It is also essential to adhere to the latest safety guidelines that differ between states. The regulations included in the guidelines are around the following:
- The height of the fence
- The gap between the fence bars
- The material used for making the fence
- The barrier gates must be self-closing and self-latching
- Outward opening of the barrier gates and more!
Finally, if pool fence setup and selection for your residential property is your concern, then consider the following factors while making your selection:
- What is the purpose of the fence?
- Is it to safeguard your children/pets/guests?
- How is the climate in your area?
- Is the look and feel/aesthetics of the landscape your concern?
- What are the pool fence legislation/the local regulations in your city or state? Read another article to learn more about your Local Legislation and Choosing a builder.
- Are you primarily concerned about the privacy of your family and property?
- Does the fence of your choice need regular maintenance?
Answering the questions above will help you select the right kind of pool fence material. Select a pool fence that provides adequate safety for your children and animals. Also, add durable materials that enhance the aesthetic value of your landscape and need low maintenance to your list of considerations.